James R. Freeman
A Reputation For Tenacity– Having been in practice for more than 50 years, my reputation precedes me. I practice in the areas of criminal law and family law and am relentless in my effort to obtain the best possible result for my clients. I will give you and your case the attention and care they deserve.
Vast Experience In The Courtroom – I strive to reach out-of-court agreements with the opposing side but prepare as if we are going to trial. If we end up in court, I am well acquainted and comfortable in any Court or Hearing Room. I served as a Chester County prosecutor for 14 years, and during the last four of those years, I was Chester County’s first full-time district attorney. During my tenure with Chester County, I tried more than 150 jury trials.
******Continue to lower sections of this page for experience and info regarding: Criminal Defense, DUI and Family Law.
“I spoke to Mr. Freeman and I can’t find the best words to express how much I appreciate him. He’s down to earth and and never will leave you confused. He will fight for you and get the job done without you being worried sick, just the normal nerves lol. You won’t be disappointed by James Freeman.”- Marie F.
“Need to litigate a personal, business, or family law dispute? Hire Jim as the courtroom is his ‘happy place.’”- Dave Megay
Education & Credentials:
- Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University, Carlisle, PA
- Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- B.A. – 1966
- Major: English and History
- Minor: Political Science
- Bar Admissions
- Pennsylvania, 1969
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1969
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1969
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1969
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1980
Practice Area Information
Put My Experience And Knowledge On Your Side- Have you been charged with a crime? Has law enforcement asked to speak with you about a possible criminal matter? Before you say anything to the police, it is critical that you meet with an experienced criminal defense attorney.
I Am The Former District Attorney- I am a criminal defense attorney who pursues justice for the accused in Chester County, Pennsylvania, and the surrounding area. I have more than 40 years of experience defending individuals who are facing criminal charges and have done thousands of criminal cases from speeding to murder.
As the former and the first full-time Chester County district attorney, I know how to pick apart each and every element of a criminal case. I know where to look for mistakes made by law enforcement officers. I know when a prosecutor is being overzealous and has filed charges that do not fit the crime. I know when your constitutional rights have been violated. Armed with my knowledge and experience, I push hard against the government’s case and defend your rights with great vigor.. I am completely at home in the courtroom and will take a case to trial, if necessary.
What To Expect When You Meet With Me- I take pride in my work as a criminal defense attorney. I give each of my clients the care and attention they need during this intimidating and difficult time. During your first meeting with me, I will fully explain:
• The charges you are facing
• What you can expect while in the criminal justice system
• How you and I — working together — can prepare your case and strive to get the best possible results
Have you been charged with a DUI? Do you assume you will be found guilty? Do you think there is nothing you can do? Well, you are wrong, because being charged with DUI does not mean you have been convicted of DUI; the government still has to prove its case against you.
There are two big reasons why you should fight your DUI.
Police Make Mistakes- Seemingly “airtight” DUI cases can and do fall apart. Here are three ways it can happen:
• The driver without reasonable suspicion or probable cause
• The police officer violated the U.S. and/or Pennsylvania Constitution
I have been practicing law for more than 40 years. I served as a Chester County prosecutor for 14 years; during four of those years I was Chester County’s first full-time district attorney and have done thousands of driving under the influence cases. I know how to find police mistakes in DUI cases and I know how to protect your rights.
You Do Not Want A Second DUI- In Pennsylvania, the penalties for a first DUI are bad enough. Ideally, it is best to keep a clean driving record and not get that first DUI on your record because the penalties in Pennsylvania for a second DUI conviction can be even worse, including jail time, lengthy license suspensions and large fines.
You absolutely do not want two DUI convictions. The best way to avoid a second DUI is not drink alcohol at all and don’t use prescription medication excessively or unlawful drugs at all and drive.
No matter what your circumstances, I will advocate for your best interests and strive for the best possible result. My top priority is you, your children and your future. I have vast experience with:
• Divorce and dissolution of marriage
• Child custody and visitation rights
• Child support
• Spousal support or maintenance
• Equitable distribution of assets like home, debts, investments and any personal property
• Protection from abuse
• Prenuptial agreements
• Adoptions, grandparent adoptions, guardianships and name changes
You Are My Top Priority- In your first meeting with me, I will take the time to explain:
• What you can expect in the justice system
• How the law relates to your situation
• How you and I — working together — can prepare your case and strive to get the best possible results for you and your family
- Chester County Bar Association, 1969 to Present
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, 1969 to Present
- American Bar Association, 1970 to Present
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1984 to Present